International school of medicine
NTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, established in 2003, was made a part of the International University of Kyrgyzstan according to the Kyrgyz Republic’s Government resolution # 60 dated 05.02.2004 as a currently operating higher school of education. At present, the school has about 3000 students, mostly from Central and South Asia. Only citizens of foreign countries are trained in ISM: India, Pakistan, South Korea, USA, Afghanistan, Japan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Turkey, Great Britain, Russia, Ukraine and Syria. In this regard, the training is conducted in English.
The basic mission of the school is:
- to train highly qualified specialists, conduct scientific research in medicine of the mountains, and provide health services to the people of the Kyrgyz Republic and neighboring countries. Training at ISM is conducted with the most up-to-date educational technologies used to ensure highly efficient training of doctors. ISM’s primary goal is to produce highly qualified doctors able to successfully work in any part of the globe.
Currently, the International School of Medicine of IUK is a modern university with an extensive infrastructure, which trains students on a recognized educational program of international level.
The International School of Medicine of IUK is an official state educational institution with the license from Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic for health education in General Medicine. Duration of studies is 5 years. (Official license No.LD 150000861).
The International School of Medicine is officially registered at:
- World Health Organization (WHO –http://www.who.int/hrh/wdms)
- Institute for International Medical Education (IIME – http://www.iime.org/database)
- Foundation for advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER – imed.faimer.org)
- Organisation for PhD education in Biomedicine and Health Sciences in the European System (ORPHEUS – http://www.orpheus-med.org)
The structure of the ISM is organized according to the principles that correspond to international standards for medical educational institutions. Such an organization of the medical school allows conducting foreign and domestic policy in line with the principles of transparency, academic integrity and allows staff, faculty and students of the ISM to take part in many aspects of the life of university. At present, structurally, the ISM has 6 administrative departments and 11 academic departments headed by the Rector – Dr.Chygyshpaev Shamil Mukashevich. He’s assisted by four Vice-Rectors, each assigned to oversee specific areas of ISM activity.
Accounting Department conducts all scope of financial interactions and operations ensuring effective ISM daily educational and research activities.
Academic Affairs Department deals with fulfillment of ISM undergraduate and postgraduate programs and is responsible for guiding students during their studies.
International Affairs Department conducts all scope of international work and oversees various international projects implemented by ISM structural divisions.
Students’ Affairs Department keeps the entire records (financial and academic performance related, etc.) of all ISM students and is primarily responsible for processing and issuing various academic documents to students.
Dean’s Office holds the primary responsibilities for overseeing school’s academic operations, managing students and making relevant academic decisions. It serves as a bridge between students, faculty and administration.
Human Resources Department performs human resource management, overseeing various aspects of employment, such as compliance with labour law and employment standards, administration of employee benefits, and some aspects of recruitment and dismissal.
Training of students is carried out at special facilities: the study of theoretical disciplines and the series of humanitarian disciplines is conducted at ISM headquarters. As far as medical-and biological subjects they are taught in the morphological campus. Clinical disciplines and practical classes are held for students at specially organized academic centers operating at medical institutions of the country. Nowadays, students enjoy all the necessary conditions for studying the basic medical subjects as part of basic educational program.
There are 4 training laboratories in the ISM including a practical skills laboratory, equipped with phantoms and dummies.
Three information resource centers were launched with 4 local networks also put in operation. At the disposal of students there are 111 units of computer equipment. All computers have access to the Internet.
A separate ISM medical station is organized and functioning, with a canteen for students offering three hot meals a day.
IUK Main Campus
ISM Administrative Campus
Issyk-Kul Regional Campus
Kara-Balta Regional Campus
Field of Research
Since its establishment, to date, International School of Medicine has been a training center with high standards in science, medicine, and research gaining reputation not only in Kyrgyzstan but also in South-East Asia.
ISM’s research objectives have been prioritized relating to the theme of medical science and health care, one of them being “The physiological and pathological aspects of the Human body”.
RESEARCH ASPECTS OF ISM
- study the pathogenesis, modernization of the methods of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of major diseases in children and adults.
- develop and implement the methods of diagnosis and treatment of surgical pathologies.
- develop and improve the diagnosis and treatment of acute surgical diseases of the thorax, abdomen, and pelvis, including latest endosurgical procedures.
- develop and implement the methods of diagnosis and early detection of infectious diseases, including research in the field of microbiology and immunology.
- study the pathogenesis and develop the criteria for the effective diagnosis and treatment of infectious and endocrine diseases by respective departments.
- understand the physiology and pathogenesis of adaptation in the area of molecular genetics and population genetics, and analyze the risk of genetic and multifactorial diseases.
- introduce new technologies in training, as well as in the theoretical foundation of universal competence, in teaching of humanities.
STUDENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
Based on all the research work carried out since 2009, different kind of scientific conferences have been held tol date, amongst the students of ISM and participants from other universities.
- The first conference was made successful with 7 major abstracts, and among them, “the study on the social and living conditions of ISM international students,” made by Dr. Muddasir Mohammed Ghouse was given the First place award. Later this abstract was officially presented at the “International Young Medical Scientists Conference” held in the United Arab Emirates, where it got the Second place award .
- Ghouse was further recommended, for the admission to thecourse, Masters of Public Health (USA).
- The second conference held in May 2011, highlighted four abstracts by our students, of which the one prepared by Dr. Zeeshan Ali and titled “The factors contributing to the health of ISM students” was presented at the ISCOMS conference, Netherlands’11 thanks to which, he was given admission to the follow-up research program.
- Later Dr.Ali was recommended by the Head of the Public Health Department Dr. Djumalieva A.A. to the epidemiological research program in Groningen, Netherlands.
- The conference of young scientists held at the KSMA (10-12 April 2012) in thememory of Daniyarov S.B, was represented by student of ISM, Ahmad Hassan. He presented a project on the “Features and drawbacks in the adaptation of foreign students in the universities of Kyrgyzstan” and won a special prize. Later he was recommended for the admission to the MA course in Germany.
- On the initiative of Djumalieva A.A, the former head of the Public Health department, four final year students: Ahmad Hassan, Thippa Kuppuram Eshvari, Thippa Kuppuram Vaishnavi and Praveen Kumar Jadhav took part in the forum of international students, held from 17 to 19 April 2012, in The Kaznm university, Almaty.
- The students of the ISN-TUNDUK in cooperation with UNAIDS, organized an inter university conference on HIV/AIDS.
- 1300 students from all over the world participated in the Model United Nations Conference initiated by UN in April, 2013, which helped understand the structure and functions of United Nations. Among top 15 students Ammar Younas got a full scholarship. Certificate of Scholarship was awarded at FAO, UN Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
- More than 400 International students and 900 Italian students participated in this conference which made it one of the largest International Students Conferences. This conference was attended by Dr. Younas while representing IUK, 6 Kyrgyz Students from AUCA, 1 Kyrgyz Student from Germany and 1 Kyrgyz student from USA.
- State Medical University of Novosibirsk (Russia) hold the International Research-and-Practical conference among the students and scientists on the subject of “Morphological science as the basic Foundation of practical medicine” dedicated to the memory of Professor M. I. Subbotin, which took place on 8-9 December 2016 and the second International student`s Olympiad on morphology: anatomy and histology which was held on 10 December 2016 in Novosibirsk city.