Ternopil State Medical University
The institute was founded in 1957. In 1997 it received the status of medical academy, and in 2004 that of a university.
The Ukraine Ministry of Health has ranked Ternopil State Medical University first among the medical universities in Ukraine. It has been awarded the IV (highest) accreditation level by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
The pedagogical staff numbers 408 teachers, including 71 Doctors of Science, 59 professors, 124 associate professors, and 261 Candidates of Science. The staff includes one Corresponding Member of AMS of Ukraine, 8 Honored Workers of Science and Technology of Ukraine, 3 Honored Inventors of Ukraine, and 4 Honored Physicians of Ukraine.
The student population of the faculty is over 3000, including more than 1000 foreign students. Classes usually consists of 8-12 persons. There are 10 lecture-halls equipped with modern demonstration apparatus. Practical classes and seminars are held in the laboratories and thematic classrooms, while clinical training takes place in the wards and the laboratories of functional and instrumental diagnostics. Since 2006 the “Z-system” of training has been introduced, by which students in their first years learn clinical aspects together with theoretical subjects. Different departments are located at different locations around Ternopil city.
Ternopil State Medical University is listed in the FAIMER (International Medical Education) directory under ECFMG and the WHO (World Health Organization) directory of Medical Universities/Schools. TSMU’s degree is recognized by WHO, US Education Department, General Medical Council of England, and in EU countries.
Since 2005 students are assessed according to the European Credit Test System (ECTS) credit-module system, which will allow the diplomas granted by the University to be converted in all countries of the European Union.